Bellingham Housing Authority
June 13, 2017 held at Wrentham Manor
- Call to Order at 6:00 p.m. Announcement made that meeting is being recorded.
The regular meeting of the Housing Authority Board of Commissioners was held at Wrentham Manor. The following members, staff and others were present:
Lawrence J. Sposato, Jr, Chairman Joseph M. Hall, Vice Chairman
Linda Cartier, Treasurer Debra Sacco, Assistant Treasurer
Sandra L Tracy, Commissioner
Monique Bergeron, Executive Director
- Approval of minutes of May 9, 2017 minutes (Mr. Sposato noted that the date shows April 11, 2017)
- Mr. Hall made a motion to accept the minutes, seconded by Mrs. Sacco, Mrs. Cartier pointed out that 1) Resolution 2017-13 there is a date correction/cross-out from September 15, 2015 to May 9, 2017. Mrs. Bergeron crossed out and initialed and Mrs. Sposato noted that in section 8 under “Mr. Sposato disagrees” should be changed to “indicated….and Medway should have followed”; all in favor, motion carried.
- Approval of minutes of May 30, 2017 Special Meeting
- Motion made by Mr. Hall, seconded by Mrs. Tracy; discussion regarding no notation of recording of meeting nor an indication who attended; all in favor with one abstention (Mr. Sposato); motion carried.
- Mrs. Harrison stated her concern for the lack of landscaping at Depot Court and the lack of a second washing machine. The lawns have not been cut for three and half weeks. Mr. Sposato asked Mrs. Bergeron why this was occurring; the maintenance staff have been busy with vacancies and water problems. She also mentioned that one washing machine has been broken for two to three months. Mrs. Bergeron stated that the grass was scheduled to be done on Thursday and a replacement machine was ordered. Mr. Sposato indicated that should the problems linger, Mrs. Harrison should come back to the board.
- Ms. Gelineau inquired about putting in a coin machine in the laundry room to make change. A change machine would be a big responsibility and another possible issue with stealing.
- Mrs. Tracy noted that her address is 87 Hixson not 81 Dixon.
- FY2018 400-01 Budget approval from DHCD (correspondence only)
- FY2018 MRVP Budget approval from DHCD (correspondence only)
- Vacant unit fee assessment
- Mrs. Bergeron provided two DHCD Memoranda, PHN 2013-02 and PHN 2013-07 as references. The fee is placed against vacancies over sixty days and beyond. The fees increase depending on the time and amount of vacancies. The fee for 61 Depot Court at seventy-two days was $60.50 for which comes off of the subsidy. Mrs. Bergeron obtained additional information from DHCD in regard to requesting a waiver at conference for any units that will go beyond twenty-one days. Mrs. Bergeron will continue to monitor vacancies. A request for waiver should be submitted once the twentieth vacant day is reached.
- DHCD Performance management Review Desk Audit
- Mrs. Bergeron that this is the first step in the Performance Management Review (PMR). This year is a “test” year and will provide guidance for the future. The BHA has only two notations: 1) Operation Guidance on Certifications and Reporting Submissions which means that required submissions need to be done within the guidelines and 2) Budget to Actual Variance received a “corrective Action” which means that the Authority needs to adjust the budget during the year to make adjustments where needed. The second half of the PMR is scheduled for July 20, 2017.
- Project is complete and awaiting final connection with National Grid.
- MassNAHRO Executive Director Compensation Study
- Mrs. Bergeron presented the study to the board as reference/informational material only. The study is to be used for future negotiations with DHCD which may have impact on the Executive Director Salary Schedule. The study notes that a person with three years experience should be making between $73,465 and $105,315 per year for an authority of the BHA size.
- Executive Director Performance Evaluation
- Postponed until July 11, 2017 due to additional negotiation regarding vacation carry-over time and additional time needed to complete the evaluation. Mrs. Sacco will be unavailable at the July 11, 2017 meeting; she will provide the evaluation to the chair.
- Resolution 2017-15 Contract approval: Amendment to BlueWave Capital contract
- Mrs. Bergeron presented an amendment to the contract which will increase Solar System Size from 2,760 to 2,785, the Annual kWh Cap from 1,006,500 to 1,033,126 and the Allocated Percentage of Estimated Net Metered Production from 915,200 to 970,072. The increase may well alleviate a large percentage of the BHA electrical expenses. The program has no cost to the Authority.
- Motion to approve made by Mrs. Cartier, seconded by Mr. Hall, all in favor, motion carried.
- Resolution 2017-16 Contract approval : 667-1 Sidewalk repairs FISH# 025041
- Motion made by Mrs. Cartier to approve the contract, seconded by Mrs. Sacco. Mrs. Sacco asked about a time frame; Mrs. Bergeron stated the job should be complete by the end of the month, weather permitting, all in favor, motion carried.
- Mrs. Sacco noted that a maintenance laborer is working forty hours; Mrs. Bergeron stated that overtime will be coming to an end. The forty hours is not overtime. Mrs. Sacco inquired about the possibility of hiring landscaper when time is at a premium; Mrs. Bergeron stated that is possible. Mrs. Cartier inquired about Arthur St. Mrs. Bergeron stated that the bathroom is complete and applicants are waiting for the completion of the vacancy. Mrs. Cartier requested a copy of check paid to conference. Mrs. Cartier inquired about the payment to MassNAHRO conference; Mrs. Bergeron will get her a copy of the checks.
- Mrs. Bergeron presented a three-year comparative for the board’s information as requested.
- Mrs. Bergeron presented information regarding compensated absences. Mr. Conlon stated that DHCD does not want Compensated Absences in the budget because it screws the ANUEL and it also changes drastically from year to year.
- Executive Director’s Report
- Highlights of report presented
- Attended Elder Behavioral Health Training and the MassNAHRO Annual Conference
- Presented “How to Expedite Housing” with licensed clinicians at the COA.
- Met with Comcast to discuss pricing and contract.
- Met with company regarding installation of commercial washer.
- Mrs. Cartier noted that the MassNAHRO summary has wrong date; should be 2017 MassNAHRO Conference, not 2016.
- Any other business that may legally come before the board
- Mrs. Sacco inquired when the washer will be installed; Mrs. Bergeron will contact the vendor- washer
- Next meeting July 11, 2017 with an Executive Session meeting at 5:30 p.m.
- Motion to adjourn made by Mrs. Sacco, seconded by Mrs. Cartier, all in favor, motion carried.